Local Area Guide: Things to do / Activities / Attractions
Grand Lodges is 50 minutes from downtown Portland and is centrally located in the slope-side village of Government Camp. Surrounded by over 1 million acres of the Mt. Hood National Forest, this village has blossomed in the last few years and is now poised to reach its goal of becoming Oregon's only ski-in/ski-out resort location. Included in the plans is an aerial tram that will connect the village to two major ski areas (Timberline and Mt. Hood Skibowl). Conceptual alignments expect the hub of the tram to be located only steps from Grand Lodges.
The location of Grand Lodges Mt. Hood within Government Camp is ideal. Nestled in its own forest oasis, yet within walking distance to the town's amenities. Government Camp and Collins Lake Resort are adopting a blended persona to call all their own. Balancing fun and culture has become a mainstay, affording a wide range of activities for couples and families alike, in Oregon's only slope-side village.
Our Porch-to-Powder shuttle places you and your family at the ski slopes in minutes. And you can ski down from Timberline via the glade trail and just walk across the street to your front door. Additionally, the proposed Aerial Tramway from Collins Lake Resort to Mt. Hood Skibowl and Timberline Lodge is currently in the planning stages. Conceptual alignments expect the hub of the tram to be located only steps from Grand Lodges, offering an expansion of your ski-in capabilities.
Annual events, shopping, wine tasting, and museum exhibits bring relaxation and excitement to a town that offers more than meets the eye. Likewise, live evening entertainment at our local eateries and brewpubs are a great way to complete a long day of fun in the Mt. Hood National Forest.
Four Seasons of Quality Family Time
Surrounded by 1 million acres of the Mt. Hood National Forest with an abundance of recreational activities for the outdoor enthusiast, the balance between rest and play can easily be found at Grand Lodges. Year-round downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, the summer Adventure Park, mountain biking, hiking, fishing and more, are all in your backyard. And if it's not right out your front door, then our shuttle service will take you right to the action.
- Mt. Hood reaches an impressive 11,242 feet and has a base that spreads over 92 miles. It is one of the most climbed mountains in the world, second only to Japan's Mt. Fuji.
- Mt. Hood National Forest has over 1,200 miles of hiking and mountain biking trails, with 189,200 acres of a designated wilderness area.
- World-class rafting, fishing, canoeing and kayaking on the area's spectacular rivers, streams and lakes.
- America's longest ski season on Timberline's Palmer snowfield
- Golfing at the nearby 27-hole Resort at the Mountain, 18-hole Kah-Nee-Ta, and 18-hole Hood River courses.
- Mt. Hood Adventure Park at Skibowl features over 20 attractions including the Alpine slide, kids' zone, mini-golf, horseback rides, bungee jumping, zip line, Indy carts, lift-serviced mountain biking, climbing wall and more.